Seminar: Noise Effects in Complex Systems - Summer Term 2015
Seminar: Noise Effects in Complex
Summer Term 2015
LV-Nr. 3233 L 607 G-RISC Seminar
Prof. Dr. Eckehard Schöll, PhD
Dr. Anna Zakharova, Dr. Philipp Hövel
Time: Tuesday, 12:15
Room: EW 731 (PN 731)
Begin: 14 April 2015
The seminar offers perspectives on our current research in the area of Nonlinear Dynamics and Control. The seminar is particularly suitable for BSc and MSc students looking for a final project. Students, who want to obtain a "Seminarschein", are welcome as well.
The nonlinear dynamics of complex systems and networks is a field of active research with applications in diverse fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, technological or socio-economic systems, for instance coupled lasers, neuronal networks, genetic regulatory networks, electronic circuits, chemical or electrochemical oscillators, power grids, transportation networks, or the internet. The seminar will focus on noise effects in nonlinear dynamical systems like coherence resonance, stochastic bifurcation, stochastic synchronization, and the interplay of noise with delay, nonlinearity, and the topology of complex networks.
Noise Effects in Complex Systems 
The seminar is in cooperation with the research group Fradkov (St.Petersburg State University, Russia) and is supported by the German-Russian Interdisciplinary Science Center (G-RISC) .
|14.4.||Preliminary discussion and
introduction|| E. Schöll, A. Zakharova, P. Hövel
|21.4.||Time-delayed feedback control of coherence
resonance [HIZ06, AUS09, JAN03, GEF14, SEM15]||Maria
resonance in (self-)coupled neural systems [UZU15,
|5.5.||Numerical methods for stochastic delay
and noise in spread of epidemics [ROZ11]||Pascal
reduction by optical feedback [JAU15a, OTT14b]||Marc
synchronization in complex systems and networks [HAU06,
|2.6.||Recognition of hybrid images
|9.6.||Coherence resonance in systems with type I
[GAN93] and type II [PIK97, LIN04] excitability||Leonidas
Transitions in Bistable Electronic Transport
Systems||Prof. Dr. Stephen Teitsworth (Duke University,
Durham, NC, USA)|
resonance near subcritical Hopf bifurcation [USH05, ZAK10a,
impact of network topology on coherence resonance and stochastic
|7.7.||The impact of
hyperbolicity on chimera states||Nadya Semenova
resonance in quantum-dot lasers [ZIE13, OTT14a]||BL|
|Talks marked by * are suitable for students who want to
obtain a “Seminarschein”.|
If you are interested in a particular topic, please contact one of the advisors. Final assignment of the topics will be done on April 14, 2015.
The presentations are available online at “Seminardokumentationen” . Login and password will be announced in the seminar and can be inquired at Dr. Philipp Hövel .
- Prof. Dr. E. Schöll, PhD 
- Dr. Anna Zakharova  (AZ)
- Dr. Philipp Hövel  (PH)
- Dr. Vitaly Belik  (VB)
- Benjamin Lingnau (BL)
- Judith Lehnert (JL)
- [AUS09] R. Aust, P. Hövel, J. Hizanidis, and E. Schöll: Delay control of coherence resonance in type-I excitable dynamics, Eur. Phys. J. ST 187, 77–85 (2010).
- [BAL14] P. Balenzuela, P. Rué, S. Boccaletti and J. García-Ojalvo: Collective stochastic coherence and synchronizability in weighted scale-free networks, New J. Phys. 16, 013036 (2014)
- [BRA09] S. A. Brandstetter, M. A. Dahlem, and E. Schöll: Interplay of time-delayed feedback control and temporally correlated noise in excitable systems, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 368, 391 (2010).
- [GEF14] P. M. Geffert, A. Zakharova, A. Vüllings, W. Just, and E. Schöll: Modulating coherence resonance in non-excitable systems by time-delayed feedback, Eur. Phys. J. B 87, 291 (2014).
- [HAK15] H. Haken and J. Portugali: Information Adaptation: The Interplay Between Shannon Information and Semantic Information in Cognition (Springer Briefs in Complexity, 2015).
- [HAU06] B. Hauschildt, N. B. Janson, A. G. Balanov, and E. Schöll: Noise-induced cooperative dynamics and its control in coupled neuron models, Phys. Rev. E 74, 051906 (2006).
- [HIZ06] J. Hizanidis, A. G. Balanov, A. Amann, and E. Schöll: Noise-induced front motion: signature of a global bifurcation, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 244104 (2006).
- [HU14] D. L. Hu, J. H. Yang and X. B. Liu: Vibrational resonance in the FitzHugh-Nagumo system with time-varying delay feedback, Computers in Biology and Medicine 45, 80 (2014)
- [GAN93] G. Hu, T. Ditzinger, C. Z. Ning, and H. Haken: Stochastic resonance without external periodic force, Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 807 (1993).
- [JAN03] N. B. Janson, A. G. Balanov, and E. Schöll: Delayed feedback as a means of control of noise-induced motion, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 010601 (2004).
- [JAU15a] L. C. Jaurigue, E. Schöll, and K. Lüdge: Passively mode-locked laser coupled to two external feedback cavities, in Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers XIV, edited by (2015), vol. 9382b of Proc. SPIE.
- [LIN04] B. Lindner, J. García-Ojalvo, A. B. Neiman, and L. Schimansky-Geier: Effects of noise in excitable systems, Phys. Rep. 392, 321–424 (2004).
- [OTT14b] C. Otto, L. C. Jaurigue, E. Schöll, and K. Lüdge: Optimization of timing jitter reduction by optical feedback for a passively mode-locked laser, IEEE Photonics Journal 6, 1501814 (2014).
- [OTT14a] C. Otto, B. Lingnau, E. Schöll, and K. Lüdge: Manipulating coherence resonance in a quantum dot semiconductor laser via electrical pumping, Opt. Express 22, 13288 (2014).
- [PIK97] A. Pikovsky and J. Kurths: Coherence resonance in a noise-driven excitable system, Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 775 (1997).
- [ROZ11] G. Rozhnova, A. Nunes and AJ. McKane: Stochastic oscillations in models of epidemics on a network of cities, Phys. Rev. E 84, 051919 (2011)
- [SEM15] V. Semenov, A. Feoktistov, T. Vadivasova, E. Schöll, and A. Zakharova: Time-delayed feedback control of coherence resonance near subcritical Hopf bifurcation: theory versus experiment, Chaos 25, 033111 (2015).
- [USH05] O. V. Ushakov, H. J. Wünsche, F. Henneberger, I. A. Khovanov, L. Schimansky-Geier, and M. A. Zaks: Coherence resonance near a Hopf bifurcation, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 123903 (2005).
- [UZU15] M. Uzuntarla, E. Yilmaz, A. Wagemakers and M. Ozer: Vibrational resonance in a heterogeneous scale free network of neurons, Commun. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simul. 22, 367 (2015)
- [ZAK10a] A. Zakharova, T. Vadivasova, V. Anishchenko, A. Koseska, and J. Kurths: Stochastic bifurcations and coherencelike resonance in a self-sustained bistable noisy oscillator, Phys. Rev. E 81, 011106 (2010).
- [ZAK13] A. Zakharova, A. Feoktistov, T. Vadivasova, and E. Schöll: Coherence resonance and stochastic synchronization in a nonlinear circuit near a subcritical Hopf bifurcation, Eur. Phys. J. Spec. Top. 222, 2481–2495 (2013).
- [ZIE13] D. Ziemann, R. Aust, B. Lingnau, E. Schöll, and K. Lüdge: Optical injection enables coherence resonance in quantum-dot lasers, Europhys. Lett. 103, 14002–p1–14002–p6 (2013).